The New & Improved Dasek Family

The New & Improved Dasek Family
Clive Nicholas Dasek (2 days old)

The Dynamic Duo

The Dynamic Duo
Daddy Longlegs and Sassy Sunshine sketched by Stewball

Sunday, June 28, 2009

SassySunshine's Unexpected Summer




It's been 11 days since I left the trail and had to tearfully say goodbye to Daddy Long Legs. I miss my husband, the hiking community, our tent, hiking and the trail itself. When we started our adventure I never imagined that I would develop such a love for hiking. Don't get me wrong at times I wanted to chuck my backpack over the side of a cliff, but there was never a time where I would have changed my situation. My biggest challenge now is finding enough to do to keep me from going crazy. It's frustrating not being able to run, walk or hike due to the pain. Going from hiking 15-20 miles everyday to 0 has been torture. Whatever it is that God's trying to teach me through this I have yet to figure out, but I trust Him.
Though this wasn't the turn of events I would have chosen I am enjoying the quality time with my mom, step dad Joe and grandma Reba. Another benefit has been the family events that I would have otherwise missed. Last weekend was my cousin Katie's wedding. It had been three years since my mom had all three of her kids together, she was glowing the entire time.
Yesterday I went with mom and Joe to Traverse City for Joe's nieces' (Wesliegh and Hannah) graduation party. It was nice to get out of the house and Lake City for a night.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel. Sorry to hear you had to end the adventure. I am however proud of what you did achieve. I am sure Nick will find away to focus and keep moving forward. If you are going to be in Michigan for awhile, Michelle and I would love to have you down to Kalamazoo. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel -

    Sorry to hear about your feet, but 900 miles is more than enough to know the lifestyle of a thru-hiker and a great journey in returning to nature. You've tapped into something I consider very special.

    I remember when I was finishing up the trail a long time ago and we'd heard rumor about 450 miles of trail that was being added on past Khatadin into Canada. People were all out of sorts about this discounting people's past thru-hikes and the semantics of achievement. I wish they had added the 450 miles, just so people would get the point that it's not about a mile-marker.

    It's about communing and shedding our normal societal lifestyle to truly be with nature for a while. It sounds as if you've found that over the last couple months. Your feet will heal and you'll have the chance to chase it again in the future.

    Enjoy your time with family and I'm looking forward to hearing your stories in November. It'll be easy, since I live 3 blocks from you guys now.

    Tob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,
    Just clicked in to catch up with you guys. Hmmm--didn't realize your plans took a quick turn. Where are you---not in Seattle I bet. Praying that your time with Jesus will be healing and directive kiddo. Hey--just cut my hair again----keeping it short for the summer! Hugs, jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete