The New & Improved Dasek Family

The New & Improved Dasek Family
Clive Nicholas Dasek (2 days old)

The Dynamic Duo

The Dynamic Duo
Daddy Longlegs and Sassy Sunshine sketched by Stewball

Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Green Tunnel

This is Sassy Sunshine's other half, Daddy Long-Legs, updating the blog; in fact, I think this is my first official posting. We're currently 'comfort'ably dry at the Comfort Inn in Daleville, VA. Since coming back from the wedding in Milwaukee 10 days ago, it has rained or thunder stormed everyday but one. As a result, we've been spending quite a bit of time in motels catching up on unmissed TV and Dairy Queen Blizzards. I will say that the Raspberry Truffle Blizzard is well worth the 900 calories and the $4.09 plus tax.

Currently, Sassy Sunshine and I are 718 miles through the trail; about a third of the way through which leaves us half-way through Virginia. VA is a 550 mile monster of a state that makes up just over a quarter of the entire trail. Many of the NOBO (northbound) thru-hikers that are physically strong enough to complete the entire trail end up quitting in VA. This is due to the "green tunnel" or "Virginia Blues" that people often fall into as a result of endless days in the depths of the forest; in other words, they just get bored of the woods and the trail. To the contrary, I'm finding that making friends and spending time off the trail makes the hike continuously exciting and intriguing.

Two things have really been on my mind through the first third of this journey:

1) The trail restores my feelings about the common good in people. I wish I had the energy to elaborate on this right now, but I just don't... maybe the next entry. In short, it's all positive.

2) Functionality is everything - No one cares how you look or what brand of gear you use; everyone just cares if it works. One of the most refreshing aspects of this hike is getting away from any concerns of image.

Thanks for keeping up with us and our whereabouts. We appreciate your thoughts, prayers, and brownies and beef jerky!

Daddy Long-Legs

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picture 111. What a way to meditate! I continue to read with growing jealously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see you two dropping out over a bit of tedious scenery. You'll make it all the way! I love getting bits of your news when you can post it. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete